Gallaudet University Video Essay Submission

We welcome you to apply to Gallaudet University as a special, visiting, exchange or online special student.

Visiting, exchange and non-degree special students are not eligible for financial assistance from Gallaudet University. If you are earning your degree from another college or university, you should discuss your plans with the financial aid office at your home school before attending Gallaudet.

Special students taking more than 12 credits are welcome to live on campus.

Contact your Gallaudet admissions counselor if you have questions.

Application Requirements
  • To apply for admission, use our online application:
    Fall 2018
  • Pay the $50 application fee
  • One written essay; if you are a hearing applicant, you must submit a video essay in American Sign Language
  • One letter of recommendation, from an academic teacher.
  • Obtain a verification letter from Gallaudet University
  • Complete an interview
Visiting Student

Deaf, hard of hearing and hearing students currently enrolled at an accredited college, university or community college may take courses at Gallaudet and transfer all credits earned back to their home institutions. Visiting students must be a sophomore, junior or senior at their home institutions and must have a current GPA of at least 2.5 or higher. Visiting students are invited to attend Gallaudet for up to two semesters.

Visiting students often attend Gallaudet in order to enhance their current understanding of and involvement within the deaf community. Because instruction in the classroom and communication on campus are conducted in American Sign Language, visiting students are required to have a working knowledge of ASL.

Exchange Student

Deaf, hard of hearing and hearing students currently attending Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio, or McDaniel College in Westminster, Maryland, may attend Gallaudet through the Exchange Student Program. Exchange students must be a junior or senior with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Exchange students may attend Gallaudet for one semester. Exchange students are also required to have a working knowledge of ASL.

Non-Degree Special Student

Deaf, hard of hearing and hearing students who are not currently enrolled at another university and do not wish to work toward a degree may apply as non-degree special students. Application for undergraduate non-degree special status must be made each semester. Non-degree special students are not limited in the number of semesters they may attend Gallaudet.

All classroom instruction is conducted in ASL. Therefore, non-degree special students are required to have a working knowledge of ASL. If special students later wish to apply for admission to the undergraduate program, they must satisfy the requirements for undergraduate admission.

Online Special Student

Deaf, hard of hearing and hearing adult learners who wish to take college courses online may apply as a non-degree online learner. Most online courses follow an accelerated eight-week format and are worth three semester credits. Such courses are generally offered six times a year. Application and a $50 fee for undergraduate online student status must be made each semester.

If a non-degree online learner wishes to apply for admission to undergraduate degree programs or the online degree completion program, he or she must satisfy admissions requirements and pay a $50 fee. If a non-degree online learner intends to transfer Gallaudet credit to another institution of higher education, the learner is responsible for knowing and adhering to the policies of the other institution.

International Visiting Student

The International Special Student Program (ISSP) at Gallaudet University is a study program designed for people from outside the United States who are interested in studying at Gallaudet University for up to one year.

The following items are required.

  1. Complete the online application.
  2. Submit non-refundable US$50 application fee online.
  3. High school transcript (Secondary school transcript and/or upper secondary school transcript) or university transcript(s) for transfer applicants only. Transfer students must send official transcript(s) along with a copy of the college catalog(s). Your transcripts will be reviewed, and you will be notified if any tests are necessary. If you do not submit your transcript, you will be required to submit SAT or ACT test scores. NOTE: Transcript(s) must be translated by a certified translator.
  4. One written essay
  5. One recommendation letter from an academic teacher
  6. Standardized Test Results - choose one of the following tests:
    • American College Test (ACT): Gallaudet University's Institutional Code is 0662. Website:
    • SAT; Gallaudet University's Institutional Code is 5240. Website: or
    • For students who do not live near an ACT or SAT testing center: Ask your school administrator to verify that there are no testing centers nearby and that you will need to take the Stanford test. The school administrator can email the letter to the International Admissions Counselor at for the test authorization and order form.
  7. Audiogram (must be completed by a physician or licensed audiologist)
  8. Photocopy of current passport, showing the cover page and the identification pages.
  9. Provide evidence of financial support with financial support documents. If you are a U.S. permanent resident ("green card" holder), you do not need to fill out the Certificate of Finances and Sponsor's Affidavit forms. Instead, make a photocopy of both sides of your permanent resident card and send it or fax to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (202) 651-5744, c/o International Admissions Counselor.

Please keep copies of your application form, documents, and essays for your records.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *